Saturday, March 28, 2009

12 Months

I know this is a wee bit late, but things were crazy after K's birthday bash and we have some more crazy coming up so I thought I'd zip on and post this!

Klaus can do everything in RED

Mastered Skills (most kids can do)
• Imitates others' activities (He makes this HILARIOUS face, I have a video, I'll work on getting it up when I can)
Edit: Here it is!

• Indicates wants with gestures (Points)

Emerging Skills (half of kids can do)
• Takes a few steps (this is a joke, the kid runs)
• Says one word besides "mama" and "dada" (Also says "Nana", "Kitty", "Hey You", there's more I'm forgetting...)

Advanced Skills (a few kids can do)
• Walks alone (We rarely carry him, he wants to follow us everywhere and if we pick him up he dives for the floor)
• Scribbles with a crayon (I'll have to post pictures of his first scribblings! I got him markers for his birthday, he has a hard time "pressing" crayons)
• Says two words besides "mama" and "dada" (See above)

And a video.. he loves this. Ignore the mess, it was a seaweed snack that got a bit out of control. LOL



And yes, I am MUCH more tan than I was in the last post. Tanning has been helping my fibromyalgia by leaps and bounds, some days I feel downright normal, and not being plaster white anymore is a nice side effect ;) I did get an official diagnosis, I'm working with one of the few doctors in the field who is actually doing research, and I'm relieved to have a treatment plan (as is Klaus, for nearly a month I couldn't get out of bed at all, some days are still rough since then but I can get out and about with him most days now). Whew!

Klaus has some snots and trots thanks to his recent allergy attack (he looks just like Jim, but seems to have a lot of my genetics in there too LOL) and I'm hoping he's better before our Missouri trip. He just woke up from a 4 hour nap, totally unusual for him. He normally takes 15 minute naps. He's been asking to nurse a lot, poor baby, his food schedule is messed up.. instead of three or four square meals he wants to graze and nurse instead.

Speaking of which, I am so happy to have made it the first year. Jim is proud of me, too. I had so many freak complications with nursing, plus having a chronic pain issue, that my goals went from self-weaning to two years to one year to nine months to day-by-day. I settled on one year after things settled down and became semi-bearable, but knew that wouldn't be likely when he was only eating one solid meal with us just a month ago. His solids intake has ramped up quite a bit, and I'm glad to be able to go out and about without having to worry about nursing every two hours. I'm setting my eyes on the World Health Organization's Two-Year minimum, and as long as he continues to be gentle (he's mostly stopped the awful pinching and scratching and twisting) and eat well-rounded meals, I don't see what would stop us. I'm on pain management that is nursing-friendly and can put off anything else that might have an effect on him. On that front, I am happy.. but I'm learning that even the minimum of two years is starkly abnormal to what is socially acceptable in the U.S. and I'm starting to get double takes and pointing fingers and shaking heads even if I am nursing very discreetly. Sometimes I wish I had little business cards stating the benefits of nursing past infancy.. and great hand-eye coordination so I could throw them at people. I know I'm doing what is best for Klaus but I still have feelings you know!

On a different note.. LOL.. Jim has been taking Klaus to the park 2-3 times a week for a few hours and they both seem to have just a great time. I bought an Action Baby Carrier this weekend in hopes that I could finally find a carrier that didn't aggravate my shoulder injury or the fibro and so far I like it.. we were so pleased that it fit Jim. He wore Klaus in it at the Mini Horse Show and they both seemed very happy with it. We are going to strap Klaus on his back in a few minutes so Jim can finish his chores (My mom and I have been doing his chores for a few weeks LOL so he owes me a couple loads of laundry darnit!) but I'm waiting for them to stop dancing around the apartment, all I can hear is Jim doot-doot-dooting to music and Klaus giggling. I guess I should go find them!

No comments: