Sunday, August 12, 2007

A place to start.

Hi! I'm so confused about what to write as an introduction, considering you all know us already, ha!

I know how exciting it is when my friends get pregnant. We sit around and discuss everything, go check out the latest baby goodies, eat a lot of good food, and make plans for baby showers 7 months in advance. This is the first grandbaby on both sides of the family, and obviously our first baby, so we understand what it's like to want to know as much as possible! Well, I do. I think Jim is still pretty much in shock, poor Jim. Anyway, I'm sure you are all as excited as we are, so we decided to make a blog so you all have the latest info :)

I am almost 5 weeks. We are waiting for our insurance to kick in so we know where we are going with it. We are very, very excited, but nervous about money and such like most folks in our shoes. We are reconfiguring our five year plan, ha! We decided to tell everybody early on. I don't like the "don't tell anyone until your 2nd trimester unless you miscarry!" rule, this is a big part of our lives and even though there is a risk we wanted everyone to be included. Now that that nastiness is over...

For friends and fam that don't know, when we came out to Arizona I became connected to the childbirth mecca here in the southwest through my doula training. A doula is a labor support person for women and their families. We cater mostly to homebirths (which are perfectly legal and safe) and women who are interested in natural childbirth, it's a lot of fun. Being in this circle of people, I have every resource imaginable at my fingertips. I go to birth circle meetings once or twice a month to discuss the latest news and to comfort women who are newly pregnant or about to give birth (well, I haven't been recently, I suppose I should start up again!) and most of us are doulas or midwives, everyone is a mom in some respect. My midwife is one of the best in the US (in my opinion) and was also the woman I learned to be a doula from. She is very excited for us! I am as educated about pregnancy and childbirth as I possibly can be without actually going through it (after all, it's my job!) and I am so used to answering womens' questions that it's really weird for me to be the pregnant one being asked if I have any questions! I hate to toot my own horn, but I do want everyone who cares about be to know so they aren't worried. I am very comfortable with everything :) and I'm not doing the litter, don't worry!

Other than that there isn't much to update. We don't have much to do until the insurance kicks in. I'll update as soon as I can.

editted for spelling corrections.

2 comments:

Nana said...

We are so excited about becoming grandparents and step grandparents! Did you find out an approximate due date? What does Jim think about all of this? We really can't tell from the blog.

Love Nana

TheMuellersMonitorBabyMetzger said...

Thanks for putting this together to keep us all informed! Big hugs from us all to you and Jim!