A few days ago we went to Tucson. Maysa had a neurologist appointment and we decided to use the opportunity to check out the birth center there. We called the day before and they told us we could have a tour as long as nobody was birthing, just to call before we headed that way. So, the next day, we did... they told us they didn't do tours but someone would be glad to talk to me for a few minutes. So, down we went. When we were there, they told us someone was giving birth and to come back in 1-2 hours, that there were always nurses on call that could talk to us. After repeating this back to them several times, we went and killed some time... came back in 2 hours.
There was a group of women in the waiting room. I figured it was an organized tour of some sort (and, doesn't it seem weird that nobody had mentioned it to me before this point?) as they were answering mundane questions that I obviously already knew the answers to, so we smiled and made our way to the desk. After about ten minutes and our 16 month old accomplice throwing a boredom tantrum we interrupted the group to ask if there was anyone at the reception desk. The woman leading the group replied curtly, "No." I told her my predicament.. you know, the two and a half hour drive just to be bullshitted around by the birth center three times. She invited me to join the tour after being rude several times, and I declined. Why would I want to give birth in a center run by incompetent assholes that can't even take ten minutes out of their day to answer my rapid-fire, educated questions (do you have an anesthesiologist and why, how many rooms have tubs, do we need to get out after the water breaks, who are your doulas certified by and are they complimentary, how many prenatal exams do you recommend...). Or, for that matter, ever tell me ahead of time that there was a giant group tour so I could prepare for it? What makes them think we want to sit there for ANOTHER two hours with a cranky toddler?
So, they were out of the question. The only reason why they were appealing in the first place was that they were cheaper than my midwife, but after discussing options I'm totally comfortable with the price and that's the route I'm going. I'm happiest with this, actually I am ecstatic.
That day Parker came down with something yucky, it's gone from being an allergic reaction to fifth's disease to the measles to roseola and now we don't know what. Two of those things are harmless to pregnant women, one is rarely harmful and the other is really, really bad news. He had to go to the hospital today and I haven't talked to Maysa about how he's feeling, but obviously I am nervous about it. It's not much longer until the ultrasound, so I'm just hanging in there until then. She doesn't think it's measles, we should know in a few days. I'm staying away for the time being.
The girls at Lush were happy to see me today, we took a hike out there for a peanut butter shake and a walk to work off previously mentioned junk food and I stopped by to read labels. I'm avoiding essential oils in the first trimester, I'm really sensitive to them and a lot of them are emmenagogues or abortifacients and I'm not taking the risk. I found one bath bomb I can use. The manager was so excited that she wanted to give me a massage bar that was awesome for stretch marks, she was so excited LOL she is the sweetest person in the world, but I already had one and I 1. hated it and 2. couldn't have it so she just looked crushed, bless her heart. She let me have the bath bomb for free. It was nice to have a little scent, but it's not the same bath bombs I was spoiled with before (and are piled up waiting for the second trimester in my closet, I think I cried when I put them away). Seriously, instead of buying your lady flowers, buy her bath stuff. A little goes a LONG way. Lush is holding my baby shower out here for my huge group of friends (two people including myself) and we will get free facials, foot and hand treatments, etc... they are just too sweet.
My favorite food right now is spicy chickenless chicken Boca burgers on wheat with an obscene amount of ketchup. My nausea comes and goes, I eat pretty well. My pants already don't want to button and I bought a bella band because it told me it would hide the fact that my pants were unbuttoned all the time. They lied, you can totally tell, so I don't go anywhere.
I've just been informed that Jim managed to ruin boxed pasta, so I guess I should go help him ;)
interview with cnn & maddy’s first race.
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment