Week seven is really boring. It's like Thursdays when you work M-F. Week 8 is the biggest miscarriage milestone as most miscarriages happen before then, and then your risk is cut again at week twelve.
My nausea is getting worse. Yesterday was the first day we could actually get out of the house, we went to the melting pot for a giant bowl of cheese (because that's all that wants to stay down nowadays). Jim is slowly learning how to cook because I just can't. While he's at work, I have cold pizza to tide me over and then he has to feed me when he gets home (I feel like I have baby bird syndrome). Nothing ever sounds good so we have to work with what we have at the time.
I spend most of the day online as it helps to be distracted, shopping for some things we need. The biggest expense we will have will be the cloth diapers. I've made most of my newborn stash but I can't make the pockets I'll need later as I can't work with polyurethane laminate (the waterproof outside, it's expensive and a PITA to work with). We decided to go with one-size diapers (diapers that adjust with age so you don't have to buy smalls, then mediums, then larges) that bumGenius! makes and they're about $18 apiece new, we'll need about 20 (the more, the better) but those will carry us through to potty training for two kids, and if you compare the cost vs. the cost of disposables (which contain harsh gels and don't breathe as well as cloth does) including the cost to wash them, cloth ends up being much, much cheaper. You generally break even in the first 6mos. So, I have been shopping around. You can buy them used, since diapers are easily stripped and sanitized, but the bG! are one of the most popular brands of diapers and they are only about a dollar less when purchased used, so it's almost pointless unless someone sells a giant lot at a discount. Obviously we'll also need a washer, but here in phoenix people throw out washers all the time and there are always free ones on craigslist, so we will be able to get one at the cost of a truck rental. No biggie.
I'm also looking at different carriers and wraps. I have an infant sling, a beautiful organic hemp and cotton piece that both Jim and I can wear, but it won't hold the babe for long before s/he gets too big. Babyhawk makes a really incredible mai tei, they are the best, but they are fairly expensive. I added it to our registry as I've been advised to spend the money on a german-made wrap and they are often over $100 but they are the best and make babywearing really easy on the back, and since I have a weak back that would be important. We already have a stroller and carseat (I have to get another base though), I bought it with a Sears card I got for christmas last year. I was supposed to start babysitting at the time, but it never happened so my stroller and carseat are bagged and stuck in the closet LOL Simon likes to climb up there and sleep in the seat. I hope to use the slings the most though.
That's pretty much all. We're cosleeping (baby between myself and a guardrail, since I am the lighter sleeper) so we don't need a crib. We're getting a bigger bed though, obviously we'll need that, but after we sell our bed and consider that aren't buying a crib or cosleeper, we will break even. I'm making most of my blankets, we have almost all the baby clothes we will ever need, and we will have two babyshowers for anything we forget. I'd love to get a glider, I'm waiting for a good one on craigslist to pop up... everything else is little stuff here and there.
At least it gives me something to do. Sitting here can be so dull.
interview with cnn & maddy’s first race.
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment