Tuesday, March 25, 2008

He is so beautiful.

Sometimes I just can't take it. I want to lick him because he's like dessert in human form.

Things are coming together. I hit my lowest point last night and this morning and I received an amazing outpouring of support from the community and the online communities I'm on. We have people we don't even know leaving food on our front porch and calling to ask if we need someone to keep us company.. and they're helping us deal with the issues we're having with the hospital.

(I don't care what anyone says this boy is CHUBBY for a 36 weeker.. that is a BIG NOGGIN)
And tonight I finally got to try to nurse him. He latched on for about a second and a half and then just simply passed out with this beautiful content look on his face. He is so, so much happier since they let me hold him. I can't wait for tomorrow, I'm sure I can get him to nurse if I'm there long enough and catch one of those huge yawns he spouts off!

(Thats my arm by the way.. LOL)

We had discharge class today and hospital policy insists that he is "on the bottle" for two days. Despite my gentle urging to breastfeed and use alternate methods like finger feeding, cup feeding, syringe dropping etc. they have been fighting me on it saying they don't believe in nipple confusion. That's nice and all but I'm not like most of the other moms.. planning to breastfeed my child only in the NICU. I plan on feeding him this way for at least two years as recommended or until he self-weans and a beginning like this is not conducive to a long-term nursing relationship. Quite frankly I could use things to be a little easier on me when I go home, not harder. I'll feed him formula over my dead body. We are now contacting higher authorities in the hospital and fighting for our right to give our son the best. Jim has been so wonderful in helping me do this.

And it's not like I'm having supply issues or anything...

In fact they hinted that we should keep the rest at home, that they have plenty to use while he is still taking feedings by tube.

I'm waiting another hour or so to pump and then I'm going to pass out and sleep as well as I can so that tomorrow I can see if I can't get him to nurse for more than half a moment. I am feeling much better after having him in my arms and seeing how much that comforts him. He is like the best drug in the world.

6 comments:

TheMuellersMonitorBabyMetzger said...

He really IS so beautiful!!! And there's nothing sweeter to the eye than him being held, I can tell you that!

Getting ready as quickly as I can,I'll see you TOMORROW!

*quick hug to Jo in California* I'll write you soon :)

Hang in there you two, best of luck with the higher ups at the hospital, no one should have to fight for their right to breast feeding! Love you all!

imfrmars said...

Klaus knows exactly who you are and he gets agitated that he can't be with you all the time. Of course he is content in your arms. Why do you have to tell the hospital ANYTHING, tell them what they want to hear and do whatever the heck you want to do! :)

Good Grief, let me tell you of yet another experience I had with my eldest, one of many plus a gem with the 2nd one. My son was born in CA (long story, my husband was stationed on Cape Cod and wanted his kid born in CA) Anyway, when he was about six or seven weeks old, I flew home. Within a short time, he threw up everytime I fed him. We went to military doctors and they told me I didn't know how to feed him (at one month those idiots on the Air Force Base told me to start giving him food)I was to turn off any stimulation etc ad nasesum. Finally the head doctor (pediatrician)who had been on leave for a month came back. He asked me if my son every coughed. Well he did but not that much! An X-ray later, it was discovered that he had bronchitis it had nothing to do with the way I fed him! I can go on and on with horror stories with doctors. A mom's instinct is the best, trust me!

imfrmars said...

Anna,

You mentioned you were worried about finances paying for Klaus' care. You mentioned you were getting some help from a premie organization. I don't know if you have medical insurance. When all the bills have been paid by whomever and you still have a mountain of them you might try asking the hospital for a charity case status. I had a friend who had COBRA insurance from a previous job but was unemployed for some time. He had open heart surgery. I don't have to tell you what that cost. He didn't have family here so I called the hospital on his behalf and they wrote off the balance. One of his doctors made adjustments to his account. It is worth a shot. Even if you have to make payments usually doctors and hospitals are happy that you are making payments and as long as you make them will leave you alone. I am sure you mom told you this but just in case... hang in, soon Klaus will be home and in your arms. Perhaps the hospital wants to make sure he gets enough nourishment so they insist on two days of bottle feeding. If it was me, I would offer the breast first and see how he does, then supplement, not the other way around. having said that I never breast feed, as when my kids were born, it wasn't allowed, not even breast milk as I remember. FYI My boys are older than you are! :) Love to all of you!

Jo

imfrmars said...

Hi Anna, no updates does that mean that Klaus is home and you don't have time? I look forward to the next entry, it's been a couple of days. :)

Unknown said...

Ohhh, He IS Sooo Beautiful. The first baby of the children (in our family) he is georgeous. I am so happy for you and Jim, and for my sister who is a new grandma!!and Stan too! Love being a Great Aunt!! So proud of you Anna. You did a wonderful job and will build a lifetime of memories. Looking forward to the day I get to meet him!! Congratulations!!!

The UCLA Family said...

Congratulations Jim and Anna! Baby Klaus is so precious and adorable! We all enjoyed looking at the pictures. We are happy to know you are back at home. It was nice to talk with Jim the other day. Best wishes with your new bundle of joy!
Love,
Uncle Chris & Aunt Lisa
Cousins Stefan, Hans, & Klaus